12 April 2014

Quick Rinse Off in the Pool

After a day out at the beach, I had the biggest, crustiest, sandiest toe bogies anybody has ever seen. 
    I had sand in my hair. I had sand in my ears. But between my toes, I had entire tracts of the Auckland foreshore; and that says nothing about the piles of shell's, feathers, sand, and rocks I deliberately carried home in my pockets.
    When a young girl finds herself so totally covered in nature, there's only one thing left to do - strap on the floaty, and hit the Base Pool for a rinse off (sorry pool janitor). 
    It was fun though. Amelia even came too.



One thing I should point out to you all, is that back in Canada, I've been doing some swimming lessons. Getting access to heating pools can be a little difficult for us in Canada, because most public pools close down in the Winter time, and like booking ice time in Winter, booking pool time in Summer can be equally as challenging. Competition is fierce, and dollars get you in...
    ...this is my long-winded excuse for the fact that although I'm four and a half years old now, I still can't swim on my own without a floaty yet. (Nor do I like putting my face under the water for very long). 
    That being said, I did pass my Salamander's Swimming Class just before coming to New Zealand, so my confidence levels are on the up.
    Anyway, the only reason I mention my own swimming levels and development, is because of what I found out Amelia could do at the age of only 8 months old. 
    There, in the base pool, while I washed West Coast sand off my softly padded feet, I was witness to a miracle - just like the baby on the cover of Dad's Nirvana CD, Amelia can hold her breath under water! 
    Check it out - it is truly a sight to behold. Her Dad, Regan calls her name to get her ready, gives her a half-count, then dives her under water for no more than four seconds. Amelia instinctively holds her breath and comes up grinning and looking impressed with herself when everyone claps and cheers as she returns to the surface unharmed...


Granted, she does cough a little bit in this clip, but it was the fifth attempt that afternoon at pulling a Jacques Cousteau. Well done, Amelia. You're quite the little aqua-lung.


As for me, I'm quite inspired - and what began as a way to escape the sun and wipe off our sandy features - has turned into renewed motivation for me to practice my floating, bubble blowing, and breath holding on my own (at least, in the bath for now, anyway). 

    Thanks for the inspiration, kuz!



Charlotte


No comments:

Post a Comment