11 April 2014

Basking In The Black Sands: Muriwai Beach

After our lucky escape from the Air Force Base earlier that morning, we all made our way in convoy (two cars) to one of Dad's old hang out spots. 
    First we went down to Muriwai Beach where the sand was totally black, and in some places, burned the souls of my poor Canadian feet. (Us 'Nadian's spend most our time in wool socks and snow boots, don't you know). 
    At first, it felt a little strange to be in bare feet, running around all covered in sand, with no one seeming to mind when I splashed them from the rock pools. 
    I know I had a little play in the sand at Manhattan Beach in Los Angeles, but somehow, after my rest day earlier in the week, this felt like the first time I really got to chill out and plant my feet in the black sands of New Zealand.


There was just so much space... and no people anywhere. I just couldn't believe it, eh!


Mum and Lorna went for a big long walk on the beach while Dad stayed back with Regan, Amelia, and Aunty Lucy. After digging my toes into the sand for a while, I ran after Mum and Lorna and flew laps around them to blow off some steam. (There are no snakes or spiders in New Zealy - OMG, I love it!).
    Even though we'd had a big breakfast back at the house, we were all starting to get a little peckish. And besides, it was time to find a restaurant because it was right around this time that I really needed to pee...
    So, we brushed the sand off our toes, and off we went down the street to the Muriwai Cafe. Mum said things were pretty pricey in there in terms of food, but all I really cared about was the fact that they had three things: apple juice, sweet potato fries, and... a potty! (of course).




After lunch, we all jumped in the cars and drove to the Gannet Colony at the top of the hill. Mum and Lorna kept on saying it was "so beautiful" but if you ask me, all I could smell was stink because the hills were coated in poop. (Haha, I just said "poop"). 
    It was pretty cool being able to watch the baby gannets flapping their wings in the wind, getting up the courage to launch off the edge for the first time, and set out on their journey over the Tasman Sea.




It was a pretty cool day if you ask me. I think next time I'll bring my scooter, so I can see what's at the other end of that big gigantic beach.



Love to you all, xx
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment